Do you have more than one Facebook page for the same business? Then there is a high probability of confusion among the users. It is advisable to merge the two pages to build a clear and credible image of your business.
When do you need to merge two Facebook pages?
Here are some situations where you have to merge two Facebook pages.
1. When you have lost the admin right of one page, you need to create a new page and retrieve the admin right of the previous page.
2. If you have created one Facebook profile under your business name in the first place and then made another one with your personal credentials and also started a page for the business. It is totally against the guideline of Facebook Terms of Services. To get rid of this situation you need to transform the profile to page and then merge it to the original page.
3. Sometimes many employees start the page for the business out of gratitude and excitement. You have to merge them with the original.
4. If your page is not listed under ‘local’ for the local business and people likes to check in to your page making a new ‘place’ page.
5. You have created a page with wrong name or spelling and after few years you have created another with right credentials and now want to merge it.
On merging two pages, Facebook stated; “If you’re an admin of both Pages, you may be able to merge them. This option is only available for Pages that represent the same thing and have similar names. If your Pages have physical locations, make sure the addresses are the same.’ and ‘If you don’t see the option to merge your Pages, it means that your Pages aren’t eligible to be merged. If you see the option to request to merge your Pages, your request will be reviewed by Facebook.”
Steps you need to do before the merge
1. You need to discover the number of pages for the ‘places’ for the business you own. You need to do a Facebook search and mark the pages.
2. You need to track the number of checks in and likes for every page and eventually ‘claim’ them.
3. In most of the ‘places’ pages, there is no or little content. You need to merge all the ‘places’ pages into one.
4. Create awareness regarding the merge among the fans.
5. You have to change the name of all the pages for an approval for the merge from Facebook.
6. You have to update the ‘About’ section of all pages with the same information.
7. All the content of the smaller page will be lost. If there are information and images which you want to keep, then you should download it before the process.
8. Make sure, there is no running campaign in any of the pages, otherwise, it will be lost.
How to merge two Facebook pages?
To merge two Facebook pages, you need to meet the following conditions.
A.) You have the admin designation for both the pages.
B.) Both the pages have same or similar names and represent the identical topic.
C.) The physical address of the page is same
Steps to Merge the Facebook pages
1. Visit facebook.com/pages/merge
2. Select the pages you want to merge
3. Now click on ‘Request Merge’
In case you are unable to execute the process, your page is not eligible to merge. Facebook will review the request for merge.
After the merging, people can both like and check-in to the page at the same time but all the posts, images, and even username will be deleted. The main page will be same apart from the additional likes and check-ins from the secondary page. The page will be deleted by Facebook and you cannot unmerge the pages in future under any situation.
It is advisable to verify the Facebook page after the merge.
Debarati Nath is a content crafter with more than 8 years of experience. A blogger by day and an ardent reader by night; she loves the world of letters. It’s her passion to help the people to keep the online digital marketing flow by writing blogs for SEO Solutions Experts.